Tuesday 24 August 2010

You're going places!

Today was GCSE results day and this morning I was explaining where my sister could get to with the right attitude and determination. Even though I am still trying to get where I want to be in the art & design world, I offered her suggestions and inspiration as to where she could end up! Two examples of successful female arty names, that came up were:

1. Vivienne Westwood: A Designer who started off in the world of Fashion by selling her own jewellery on Portobello Road who later became British Fashion Designer of the Year in 1990, 1991 and again in 2006. Since then, she has been recognised by the Queen for her services to fashion and is now Dame Westwood.
She first studied silversmithing and I was told by someone who worked with Viv, that she is always very hands on. Well known for her own personal dress & flamboyant style, her outrageous and outlandish designs came from a wide variety of inspiration including Hobo and Buffalo, Pirates and Punk. I am proud to say that I am lucky enough to own a Viv tie, which I have included a photo of!

2. Jamie Nelson: Not so well known as the above, but still successful as a New York based photographer with a well established portfolio. Having mastered photography for beauty & fashion she's also lucky enough to have bridged the gap into advertising photography. Here's a collection from Online Fashion Mag' Trendland. The point I was trying to get across was, if you are talented and have the right motivation, you'll eventually get far. Congratulations to my sister for getting an A* in GCSE Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment